1. Roughly pound the garlic with bird's eye chilies in a mortar. Add long beans, roasted peanuts and dried shrimps. Roughly pound the mixture again. Season with palm sugar, fish sauce and lime juice. Add shredded papaya and stir. Add cherry tomatoes.
2. Serve with fresh water morning glory tops, cabbage and long beans.
- To keep the papaya fresh, clean the whole fruit and soak it in water for 30 minutes before peeling. If there is any shredded papaya left over, keep it in the fridge.
- A wooden mortar is recommended to keep the shredded papaya in good shape.
- It you do not have a set of mortar and pestle, mix the ingredients in a mixing bowl and serve.
- Use crushed almonds or cashew nuts instead of peanuts in case of peanut allergy.
- Somtum is usually served with barbecued chicken and steamed white glutinous rice.
Vitamin A, B1, B2, C, E, K, Folate, Iron, Manganese, Potassium
Preparation: 20 mins
Cooking: 5 mins
Total: 25 mins
Spicy Level: 2